Video: How to Ask for Referrals
Gaining Access to Additional Stakeholders By Asking for Referrals
Building on the momentum of a sale means being able to effectively ask for a referral. An effective referral request opens the door to the next sale.
Too often this crucial step is “tacked on” to the end of a conversation. The best sellers make this request with a mindful approach.
The Wrong Way to Ask for a ReferralIn this video, we provide a clear example of a seller missing an opportunity to take a thoughtful approach to access additional stakeholders.
Notice how the seller in this example made three key mistakes:
- Jumps straight to the request without a preface
- Forgets to provide context for the request
- Neglects to highlight the relationship with the customer
The Right Way to Ask for a ReferralIn the video, below, we provide a clear example of how sellers can apply the right skills at the right moment to gain access to additional stakeholders and new business.
Notice how the seller:
- Used a “hinge” to highlight previous successes as a lead-in to the request.
- Prefaced the request with a clear benefit of the product or service.
- Followed up on their request by asking for additional information about the referral
These videos are part of a learning module in our AccelerateTM Sales Performance Platform. Learn more about this powerful learning tool here.
Get industry insights and stay up to date, subscribe to our newsletter.
Joining our community gives you access to weekly thought leadership to help guide your planning for a training initiative, inform your sales strategy, and most importantly, improve your team's performance.