Benchmarks to Becoming a Trusted Advisor
In our last blog post we discussed, as a trusted advisor, how to earn your seat at the table as part of the buying process so that you are able to help shape opportunities rather than just react to them. Today we are going to review the road to becoming a trusted advisor to buyers and the several relationship benchmarks that sales professionals need to keep in mind on their journey.
Few things are more important than preparation when meeting with a buyer. How well you prepare can immediately differentiate you from the competition. The focus of your efforts should cover three important areas:
- Strategic impact: What business goals and objectives is the buyer supporting with this purchase?
- Buyer needs: What’s important to the buyer on both a business and personal level?
- Technical preparation: Do you have a thorough knowledge of the product or service you’re selling?
How to Build Trust by Focusing on the Right Success Indicators
Another important consideration in your preparations is to focus on leading, not lagging, indicators of success. Doing so adds relevancy to the conversation.
At Richardson Sales Performance, we talk about different value lenses, with different facets to view how we present these leading indicators, and ourselves, to buyers:
- Financial: How are we helping buyers meet their financial goals?
- Technology: Are we helping them to steer clear of the noise and hype that surrounds technology solutions to focus on what really matters?
- Strategy: Does our solution fit within the overarching goals of the buyer?
- Partnership: Are we making a solid case for the value of working with Richardson Sales Performance?
By recognizing some of the benchmarks of becoming a trusted advisor, you can begin to have higher-level conversations with buyers about their current and long-term objectives, challenges, strategies, and opportunities. Then you can position your value while demonstrating insight and technical substance. And, in the process, become that go-to professional all your results-driven buyers will want to have sitting alongside them at the table.
Consultative Selling Training Program Brochure
Learn about building the foundational selling skills needed to improve the performance of your entire team.Download
Get industry insights and stay up to date, subscribe to our newsletter.
Joining our community gives you access to weekly thought leadership to help guide your planning for a training initiative, inform your sales strategy, and most importantly, improve your team's performance.